My daddy issues
My dad always wanted me to sing. He said he could hear my talent when I laughed. He had a point, because when we laugh our diaphragm ‘jumps’ and kicks the voice out effortlessly.
He didn´t know anything about singing or music. Yet, somehow, he knew. Too bad, I shied away and didn’t let anyone hear me sing until the age of 21. In the end it all would be ok: I became a professional opera and musical singer. But more on that later.
I think one of the reasons my dad encouraged me was because he was denied that encouragement as a child. As a 7-year-old, the music teacher told him he had NO TALENT.
Really, who determines that for a kid?!? Would my dad have become an opera singer without that comment? A singer-songwriter? Maybe simply a choir singer having great fun?
Some students who come to me talk like this: ‘I have a terrible voice’. Some were told so. Others compare themselves to a successful sibling: My sister is the talented one… Just a spoiler – they were all wrong.
My first voice lesson
When I finally came around, at 21, I decided to take a voice lesson, just for fun. It was like falling in love. After a few lessons I realized I would have to get over my stage fright that I developed by shying away from singing. This took me two more years. Overcoming physical and psychological obstacles in my vocal technique took me way longer than that.
All this helps me now with my students. I had almost nothing come easily. So when a student comes in with a bad habit, chances are that I have had it, too, and I will know what to do about it.
I have learned that singing well is about understanding your instrument – your body. Therefore my method involves bodywork methods such as yoga and Alexander. It’s amazing how much of a difference this will make for your singing.
“Linor was the first vocal coach I had who started correcting my posture before we got started. I am reminded of a good masseur I once had, who did not immediately start kneading my back, but first asked me to stand up, and concluded that one leg was half a centimeter shorter. Likewise, Linor corrected my neck and head, which led to a completely different sound.
Already in a few lessons I have progressed tremendously. I reach my notes effortlessly for the first time, without having to force it. I am starting to discover my voice.”
Eye-openers and stories. One subscriber each month wins a (online) singing lesson with me
How I became a singing teacher
- I graduated from the Jerusalem Academy of Music and Dance.
- In 2010 I moved to Berlin, where I studied with renowned opera singers.
- The impact of their teaching exploded when I started figuring out a new exercise routine and mental approach: I reached a professional level.
- I performed in Opera and Music Theater Projects, such as a 80 day tour of Das Phantom Der Oper.
- I moved to Amsterdam in 2017 and started my singing studio.
- I’ve taught over 150 singing students, some ‘tough nuts to crack’ too. But I cracked them.
- For my students I developed a system, that I want more people to benefit from: my online course Make singing click.