Women's choir The Merry Poppins
The name of our female choir in Amsterdam is of course a wink to my favorite musical movie - I must have watched it at least a dozen times. It keeps inspiring my love for singing.
Concert: Saturday Nov 24th, Café Belcampo
We sing (mostly new) arrangements of key songs of classic musicals such as Hair, Sister Act and - as you can hear in the recording below - Fiddler on the roof. We performed this song - Matchmaker - at Q Factory, on June 2018. Pretty cool, I daresay, considering that at the time we had only rehearsed for about 2 months.
The perks of being a Poppin
Why is being a Merry Poppin the best thing ever? Being a part of The Merry Poppins will give you:
- Weekly rehearsals of two hours with a group of dedicated singers from all over the world. You learn about vocal technique and blending in a group
- Two concerts a year (at least)
- A private singing lesson with me which will improve you as a (choir) singer
- New arrangements of classic musical songs that I wrote especially for this choir (such as in the video below: I recorded and dubbed my own voice for soprano, mezzo and alto)
Our bad-ass work ethic
We are an amateur choir but dedicated to making this a great vocal ensemble. You don't have to have a lot of singing experience to join. As long as you are dedicated to learn and put in the effort. It's hard work but a lot of fun! As Mary Poppins sang:
Schedule rehearsals 2018
Rehearsals are on Sundays, 16.00 - 18.00 h, at my place: SingWell Studio. Stephensonstraat 16p, Amsterdam-Oost (see contact details).
- Sunday October 28
- Sunday November 4
- Sunday November 11
- Sunday November 18
- Saturday November 24th: PERFORMANCE at Café Belcampo
- Sunday November 25: NO REHEARSAL
- Sunday December 2
- Sunday December 9
- Sunday December 16
- Sunday December 23 NO REHEARSAL
- Sunday December 30 NO REHEARSAL
- (2019 dates yet to be determined)
The membership fee is for a whole season, for we will aim to get some results by the end concert. The payment will be 350 euros (including 21% VAT) for the season (September-July). It covers my fee as arranger/director/organiser and costs for promotion, social media promotion of concerts and member acquisition, fees for rehearsal and/or concert space.
NB: if you enter the year at a later stage, you get a discount.
Or pay the first term (2 terms of € 180)